2013, and in particular the past couple of weeks, has been pretty rough at our house.
On January 29, Merlin had what we thought
It is edging into the hottest part of summer here, with a lot of high temperatures, blazing sun, and thick, heavy air. We have capitulated to the heat and humidity and turned on the A/C. Because of science (hot air rises!) the upstairs of the house has always been a good deal warmer than the downstairs despite the A/C. Up until recently, we tried to solve that problem by laying a box fan on its back in the front hall, blowing straight up the 2-story foyer/stairwell in an effort to keep the cooler air circulating.
It worked, but it didn’t look all that great to have the box fan in the middle of the front hall, plus it was a tripping hazard.
So we decided to replace the chandelier that hung in the front hall with a ceiling fan.
We had to rent some scaffolding from Home Depot for the job, as our ladder just wasn’t up to the job.
It took a bit longer than we expected. Altogether it took more than nine hours – all day Saturday – and we returned the scaffolding the next morning.
But it works, and looks a lot better than the box fan did.
One of the lights has already blown out, though.